John II the Good
Tarnowskie Góry Historic Silver Mine
In 1526 Tarnowskie Góry in Silesia (southern Poland) was awarded the status of a free mining town, and in 1528, John II the Good, Duke of Opole, issued an ordinance known as the Ordunek Górny, granting the town a series of mining privileges. At the same time a mining authority was also established, its seal and coat-of-arms eventually becoming the town’s coat-of-arms. The Reformation found many supporters here; its consolidation came after the death of John II the Good (1532). The region of Tarnowskie Góry is known for historic lead-ore mining. The lead-ores contain quite a big admixture of silver. That's why beginning from 1526 when the new deposits of lead (mostly galena) were found, the settlement started to grow quickly. The name of the town Tarnowskie Góry has a mining genesis. The first part "Tarnowskie" comes from the name of village "Tarnowice" where deposits of lead enriched by silver were found.